Vape Charging & Ignition System for BMW Airheads /5 and /6, 105mm, Dual Plug IgnitionRegular price $807.75
Want to trick out your airhead with a dual plug setup? This is what you need to make it happen! This complete Vape charging and ignition system is a replacement for early-era 105mm Bosch stators. We use these on literally every BMW project we build and love them! Upgrade your dated Bosch charging system with a modernized 190W single-phase permanent magnet stator and integrated regulator/rectifier compatible with any motorcycle battery chemistry.
The Vape charging system comprises a single-phase permanent magnet alternator (PMA) and a Revival exclusive regulator/rectifier compatible with lithium-ion, AGM, and lead-acid batteries. One hundred ninety watts might not sound like an improvement over stock, but that isn't the whole picture. This system provides a considerable voltage increase at low RPMs, meaning you're reaching charge voltages sooner and not just relying on your battery voltage in stop-and-go traffic. The ignition system produces its own power, so the stator only provides power for maintaining the starter and lighting.
The Vape ignition systems use capacitive discharge (CDI) tech to produce fat, blue ignition sparks that improve fuel combustion and inhibit plug fouling regardless of available battery voltage. The system includes two dual tower coils, wires, caps, and an ignition module that replaces the old mechanical advance with an electronic advance with two or more curves to select from.
Here is the essential reading!
Are you unsure what the difference is between the 105mm and 107mm kits? Over the years, BMW used two stators with different diameters. The change from 105mm to 107mm was gradual over several years in the mid-'70s. Also, motors get swapped all the time, so in most cases, you shouldn't assume anything; pull the stator and measure the diameter. Look at our product photos to see exactly where you should be measuring.
Vape ignitions are made to order; depending on availability, delivery times may be 4-8 weeks.
Make sure you have selected the correct system for your make and model. If you have any questions, please reach out to us before checkout. Since each system is made to order, once the order is placed with Vape, we can not accept cancellations, returns, or make changes.
CLICK THIS LINK FOR GUIDANCE ON FITMENT AND INSTALLATION.
- To use one of these with your R100, you also need to replace the anemic Valeo starter with a new, high-efficiency starter; it's not a bad idea for any BMW. EnDuraLast Starters can produce 70-140% more torque, drawing 20% less amperage from the battery. That means faster startups and more starts before worrying about excessive battery drain.
- We're not sure why but Vape decided not to include the rotor puller for this system; you might need that, so we've added it to the kit.
- Be sure to revisit the link to the Vape installation guide provided near the bottom of our product page for this specific kit.
- You can integrate Vape systems with the Motogadget mo.Unit for a 100% modernized electrical system on a vintage bike.
- Pay particular attention to the instructions regarding tightening all of the screws on the ignition. They are finger-tight from the factory. We recommend using a blue thread locker on all hardware to eliminate any possible backout from vibration.
- Vape kits do not come with a woodruff key slot. We hear concerns about this from time to time. We use these on our own projects and in all the years we've sold these, we've never seen a single issue. Many bikes don't use keys, and a correctly installed rotor doesn't need one. Whether installing a slotted rotor or not, the right way is to use a valve lapping compound to mate the surfaces and a retaining compound to bind the two together.
- stator unit
- electronic advance unit CDI ("Black Box")
- twin ignition coil with wires and caps
- relay with cables
- rotor bolt M8 with washer
- 3 screws M5
- cable ties
- rotor puller tool